Monday, July 25, 2016

My Comfort

I used to tell people that I married my husband because he promised me a rocking chair. And over the years he has given me/made me a number of rocking chairs.

2016-07-25 22.30.21My Favorite Rocking Chair – Made by John

There is something terribly comforting about the rhythmic rocking.

Although it didn’t work out exactly the way I anticipated with my babies. I had always pictured myself in the middle of the night gazing fondly down at Baby after having soothed my little cherub with rocking and a lullaby. But this proved purely fantasy!

I quickly learned  that in reality what my babies wanted from me was mother’s milk. Rocking and lullabies were relatively inconsequential!

I found new meaning in the words of Psalm 131:

But I have calmed and quieted myself,

I am like a weaned child with its mother;

like a weaned child I am content.
Psalm 131:2

2016-07-25 22.19.28

My babies are all grown now but I still find comfort in my rocking chair – and in God who “tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.”    Isaiah 40:11

When I feel injustice pressing in I can still say, Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 63:7

No comments: