Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Love and Fear

This morning we read Psalms 1, 25, 40, 52 and 66.These are among our favorites. 

But today I was particularly struck by Psalm 25:15.

psalm 25 15

I feel caught in a trap.

Psalm 66 also talks about traps.

66C verse 3

Bless God, O peoples, sound His praise;

He who appoints our soul to live.

And keeps our feet from slipping.

As silver, God; you tested us.

Delivered us into the net,

Oppressed us with a burden.

Men rode over us;

We have gone through fire and water

By your doing.

Yet You brought us forth in freedom.

Fear is a powerful emotion. A woman (man) trapped will say/do some pretty awful things.

I have said some pretty awful things.

Psalm 66 says God delivered us into the net – to test us.  I feel I fail so often. How can I pass the test? Psalm 25:15 says by keeping my eyes on the LORD.

But to be honest I think most of us can’t stay this focused during times of testing without encouragement.

How I thank God for every hug, every look or word of encouragement. So grateful for my Japanese colleagues here in Aomori and for how God loved me through them last week.

Love – another strong emotion – casts out fear.

There is no fear in love,

but perfect love casts out fear.

For fear has to do with punishment,

and whoever fears

has not been perfected in love. 

1John 4:18

No comments: