Thursday, September 01, 2016

In the Shadow of His Wings – Don’t be Afraid!

I was going to write about “someone who loves me unconditionally” - that would probably be my dog!

But tonight I feel like Jem after the trial in “To Kill A Mockingbird” – socked in the gut by the injustice of it all.

“How could they do it, how could they?”

Today we received a dismissal from an organization to which I gave two thirds of my life. I want to argue my case. But no one is listening.

So I’m back to where I was in my May blogpost, begging God Himself to take up the shield and buckler and Our Defender be!

No shame

Ever since this morning when I woke to sun and the realization that Typhoon # 10 had passed us over, I have been thinking of Psalm 57:1

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,

for in you my soul takes refuge;

in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,

till the storms of destruction pass by.

All day I hoped the symbolism was significant – I harbored a great hope that the figurative storm was also past. This even though the “Atticus” in my life assures us that there will have to be a long and thorough process of calling to account – and years before we see justice.

He and others tell us that we need to get on with our lives. But I hardly know what my life is anymore.

I cry out to God Most High,

to God who fulfills his purpose for me.

He will send from heaven and save me;

He will put to shame him who tramples on me.

Selah.

God will send out his steadfast love

and his faithfulness!

Psalm 57:2-3

What is His purpose for us?   

I’m not sure yet – but we know that His purposes for us are good. And when we forget, our family and friends remind us with verses like this one:

deuteronomy

So tonight we look to the Lord our Defender.

We look to the God who will be with us, who will neither fail nor abandon us.

We look to the Lifter of our Heads.

We look to You!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and John.

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your hear; wait, I say, on the Lord!
Psalm 27:13-14

Much love to you both.

Wendy Adams

Laurie Elliot said...

Psalm 27 is one of the Psalms we sing most often although we usually sing the first half. Will have to sing the last half today. :-)

Thank you so much for writing, Wendy! So grateful for every hug and every word of encouragement. So very grateful.